Saturday, August 2, 2008

No Excuses

In June I received a Jury Duty letter for the end of July. I kinda laughed, "Of all times to get the order." I was mixed on the "hmm, interesting" feeling and the "oh boy" feeling. It's one thing to do it for a day... another if it turns out to be a week or a month long! Yikes. That was the scariest about it. Regardless of my preferences, I knew that I shouldn't--I don't think they'd give the jury a break every two hours for me to take a nice nap. No problem getting out of it... brain surgery. Who turns that down?
Apparently, the jury dept. turns excuse of brain surgery down. I contacted my doctor for a letter of excusal from him. A week later, I got a letter of denial from the Dept. office. Ouch. Talk about "come rain or shine!" With all of the department's contact info. there was no one I could chat with. Being a proud American citizen, I went. I had grabbed anything that could prove my surgery (aside from the nice gash on the side of my head-- actually, my inch long hair covers it and the scar is quite smooth). Needless to say, I spoke with them and they informed me that they hadn't received my doctor's fax and had sent me the denial only because I had inquired about it over the phone. So, I called my doctor and was sent home... I took a good nap.
Learned: Interacting with a computer over the phone isn't perfect.

4 comments:

Stevenson Family said...

Oh I'm so glad you got out of it! One day would be no biggie(and I hear you make REALLY good money) but more than that would have been ridiculous in your fragile condition. ;)

The Knudsen Family said...

That is good that you got out of it. I luckily (knock on wood) have never been called to jury duty. Now that I said that I will probably have a letter waiting in the mail on Monday for it.

Sherry said...

wow crazy! I got out of mine because I had no one to care for my child, because I was a SAHM and they were fine with it!

K+C=M+K said...

I find that crazy that they are still making you go! I mean, come on! Your excuse is legitimate! Well, hopefully you won't be called to be on the jury at least and it might just be a waste of one day. Glad to hear that your hair is growing in nicely and your scar is healing- everything else going ok?