Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Little Blonde Hen

Well I guess this doesn't have much to do with the Red Hen story, no one refused to help (it was actually David who has mostly done the "farming" of it), but the process made me think of it. Starting from the beginning and then finishing with something delicious. David does a lot of gardening. The garden area is about 50'x 25' and the apples were just one of the delicious results!

1st= you plant
This was when the apple tree was first planted (on the far left). The big bunch of green stuff in the middle of the garden was LOTS of watermelons. Middle tree is peach (it turned out way better than I thought it could-- blows away store bought). The far right tree is apricot (birds got them fast this year).

2nd: you water


3rd= ENJOY!
This apple pie was DELICIOUS. The apples were perfect and I used a pretty simple recipe. We shared it with some in David's family and they at least told me it was one of the best they'd had. Well done, farmer, the apples were just right. (the crust was store bought--picked out by Suzie and Jason. I played with it like pictures show. And I copied a show on cutting pie toppers on own. I got a kick out of how that turned out!)


We used the apples a lot; more than I thought we would on our own. Gidget really likes to chew on the whole apples and likes bits mixed with her food. It is also perfect for salad-- the right tartness and not mushy.

This other one is just cute of Gidget. She is practicing standing up more and more. Pretty ready to walk (almost a bit too confident). :)


5 comments:

tiffunny said...

Holy cow! I didn't realize your yard stretched so far! I guess i've only seen the part out your back window that faces the golf course. How fun to have so much space to plant so many different types of things! Your post makes me hungry!!!

Ryan and Marci said...

That pie looks divine!! I love it! That is so fun that you grew your own apples & everything.

Stevenson Family said...

The pie did look good and I'm a huge fan of fruit in salads. I love fruit period. That's why I like you. ;) Ta hee hee.

Robin said...

We always try to do a garden but we end up getting so busy and and the garden suffers!!! Plus we have a dog and that makes it hard too.

K+C=M+K said...

VERY impressive! YOu are such a great homemaker- I don't know if I have those genes in me to do something like that! HOpe you're feeling good and doing good these days:)