Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Celebrate!

The Fourth of July came very quickly and I was delighted. David and I arrived in St. George late Wednesday night so that we would be ready for all the action. We were all excited to have a good excuse to see the family that was able to come (only 4 of the 8 available). Jason got some time off from his Natl. Guard training in Az. and we all welcomed this. We hit the lake on Thursday worried that the small lake would be packed... were delighted to see only about 4-5 other boats there!! We all had a blast on the boat. I was actually able to ride the raft. Joe drove very smoothly for David and I. Grandma McKe taught the grandkids how to make a yarn octopus and snake-- which she learned as a little girl. Cute.

On Thursday, we had a Flag ceremony with our Scouts including singing, reciting, and a little honoring discussion. Soon after our Flapjack breakfast we hit the park with plenty of games planned: egg toss, gum bubble contest, pie eating contest, and then an adult vs. kids waterballoon war! Gidget absolutely LOVED the water area at the park. We returned to my mom's and had a good ol' American burgers and hot dogs meal with American sides, which was prepped while the kids swam. Soon after, the whole crew headed to the movie (the robot one-- wasn't a hit for them) while David and I visited his mom. Our Gidget had fun with her Starling grandparents. To top off the 4th, we did fireworks and ate ice cream cones (in memory of my pops- some in McKeon fam may remember Baskin-Robbins on the 4th).

Friday was so fun and the chilluns will remember it for along time, I'm sure. David said that his family would play at the Virgin River a lot-- it gave us the idea for ourselves. The kids found little frogs (a 1st for some), played with the mud and water, and checked everything out. Gidget was delighted and couldn't stop playing. She was beyond worn out and fell asleep after just 2 minutes in her daddy's arms on the way to the car. After just a bit of hanging out at Grandma's the crew headed out- each needing to be to church the next day. Gidget had tons of fun with everyone! None of us were anxious to leave the family, but are glad we had the time together. It is fun to make memories. :)

And the winner is....

3 comments:

tiffunny said...

Sounds like a really fun weekend. I love the St. George area and I too played a lot in the Virgin River as a kid. And little "gidget" is just adorable - seriously!

Janell said...

joe and I love reading your blog, you do such a good job writing often! Good to see your cute family and what you are up to!

Brittany said...

Fun times!