feel that way. No doubt that we’re just a few of his friends. He was on the baseball team with my brother, and in choirs with me. If anyone was having a boring or sad day, he was quick to take care of it. He gave so many laughs, hugs, and cheers. Rendell was definitely right on the path to perfection and helped others at least feel like they were on that path too. Rendell passed on just last week, about 13 months after finding out about his brain tumor—which was cancerous. He was able to hang on a little longer than the doctors said he would. I’m guessing that had a lot to do with his wife- Ursula. I wanted to include this with my surgery report to say my MANY thanks to Ursula. Despite all of what was taking place in her life, she took the time to help prepare me eventhough mine wasn’t near the extremity of Rendell’s. I send my hope and prayers to you.Let me start by saying that things have gone extremely well. I have mostly felt about 4 weeks ahead of normal recuperation from brain surgery.
**I have posted my not so great pictures below the info. Just wanted to give a warning.**
David drove me to UCLA on April 15th (good ol’ tax day) at 4:30 am. Thanks hunny. My poor sweetheart had to just sit in the hospital area and wait for the entire 8 hours of the surgery, not knowing what was taking place. It would have been neat if he had been able to watch it and then let us all know exactly what took place. Me… I was put “under” right after they took me to the surgery room. I am so glad that I didn’t even have to deal with the hair shave (they shaved it very well, I must say, VERY smooth), nor the no-fun throat tube (for breathing and wires)—which has had a lot of ugg effects with my drinking of water (couldn’t swallow, kept gagging for a while), breathing (had to take a deep breath after every 3-5 words for a couple weeks), and talking (lost voice); all getting better though. They did the “question mark” slice on the left side of my head. They sliced from almost the middle of my head-top down to just above and then in front of my ear. Beautiful. The doctor reported to David after surgery and he remembers him reporting that the area itself looked as they “guessed” it would and that the mass was very hard. I just received results today. It was a tumor- low grade glioma (level 1 or 2). It had been growing very slowly. They were able to get every bit out, making more growth very unlikely to take place. What a blessing to have it out when I did- before it got to level 3 or 4 (cancerous).
I was able to check out of the hospital that Friday. We “hung out” nearby for the next couple days and then I was very ready to be home. I was happy that while there I got a visit from my nearby family, my friend (Angie L.) and my beloved 2nd grade and 4th -5th teachers (Mrs. Teeter and Mrs. Burleigh).
Since the surgery, things are getting better and better. Name and noun recall is affected, my short term memory has been thrown off a little, and I’ve been weak/worn out. These things are just in the process of healing. The 40 staples were taken off of my head just over a week after the surgery. There are a few stitches under my skin in a part of the area. Oh, some of the skull pieces were replaced and are held with bits of metal (won’t make an airport metal-detector thing beep).
Effects that are figured to last are related to my speaking and eyesight. My upper right eyesight from both eyes is cut in a bit- I don’t even notice. A list of words and numbers will be difficult for me. I’m pretty sure that’ll be OK because I already write lists of things (To Do list, shopping list, etc).
Lastly, I want to give giant thanks to all those who have helped me and my little family. I hope my mom isn’t sick of us! j/k We’ve kept her very busy for a few weeks- we sure got spoiled. T’was a delight to have my sister, Shawna, come and baby us. Another thing I’m happy about is that I can eat and enjoy food… big thanks to the family members and friends who have brought us needed meals. We’ve put my in-laws into work too. My mother-in-law was watching more than just my little one- we keep her going! Now we’re keeping my Vegas in-laws 24 hours busy! I’m hoping people still like us after all the help they’ve given! So many thanks to the others that have helped in various ways.
** The pictures are going fast- if you'd like you can put the arrow over the picture and pause/play, forward/back buttons show up on the bottom right of the pictures.**

12 comments:
I am so very glad to hear that you are recovering well and that surgery was a success. We have been thinking of you constantly the past few weeks! Take care and PLEASE let me know if you need anything! Your hair shave is looking good after 3 wks - I know how it feels, I've had some of my hair shaved off for my cochlear implant!
Deanna, I had no idea about any of this... I am so happy to hear that everything went well with sergery and recovery thus far... You are in my prayers. Your family is so beautiful... I'm just over joyed to know you are alright... Much Love, Amanda and Justin Cracroft
you are amazing! i am so happy that everything is going so well. you look really good! we can't wait until you are fully recuperated so we can have you back at our bunco! and i must say that little girl of yours is getting cuter and cuter, so smiley. take care of yourself, and if you need anything, please let me know.
Deanna-- What a CRAZY thing to go through! You look absolutely amazing and I really couldn't believe how great you were doing when I stopped by. Its great to hear about everything and you sound like things are going pretty well. keep us all posted and you will continue to be in ou thoughts and prayers!
-TJ
I am so glad everything is going well! I have been thinking about you all the time. I hadn't heard from anyone on how you were doing. I was starting to worry. If you need anything let me know.
Love,
Brittany
Deanna, I'm so glad to hear that everything went well. You look great, especially for all you've been through! We hope you continue to do well. You're a stud!
I am so glad things are going well for you. I saw you at church on Sunday and you looked great. You were also so popular that I didn't get a chance to say "Hi". It was good to see you!
I am glad that your recovering is going so well and that you have so much help. What a blessing. I have been thinking about you and hope that the future is postive and you keep recovering quickly.
We are happy to hear that everything went well! We wish you the best with the rest of the recovery.
I finally had a chance to read through the whole thing! I love you and hope you are feeling good!
Dee I hope you are doing well. We have been praying for you and we love you!!
We love you Dee. Happy to see you are doing so well. What a cute little family you have!
Post a Comment