Saturday, October 18, 2008

5 Years

Last Saturday, October 11th, marked 5 years since my dad's passing. Time never makes it easier. I am so happy for all of the great memories I have of my dad. I was glad I could go to the temple with my mom, Shawna and Jimmy in honor and memory of my dad. I'm blessed to be his girl (well, one of them). =)

I wrote a bunch of memories below-- Feel free to add memories of your own in the comment section, if you would like. Always fun. President Monson's talk, "Find Joy in the Journey" comes to mind when I think of John McKeon as my dad. He brought much joy.

Memories of Dad
-Dad made a perfect Donald Duck sound
-“Shot” and then would fall and crush us on the bed. A good wake up. Gidget does something just like this when she tackles her stuffed toys.
-Dance practice in the family room. Many Elvis songs come to mind.
-FHE lesson where we learned to hold conversation with eye contact—the stare contest
-Taking Dad on a drive in the go-cart on Saturdays to get the newspaper
-Getting to stay up a bit past bedtime if I gave Dad a head massage
-Counting all of Dad's buckets of leftover coins and getting to go to Disneyland!
-I got to sit with dad the most in his lazy-boy because I was the smallest.
-Dad took me on my first date. We shopped at Susan Doughman’s store and went to the movies.
-Dad told me lots about roses as we would walk the driveway (or ride)
-I remember when taught the boys how to shoot BB guns and included me
-I remember how Dad would play with his ear, bunching it all up and pushing it in- it would actually stay like that for a moment and then pop back out.
-I remember how Dad would stay in his white shirt on Sundays and roll up the sleeves.
-I remember Dad’s mega-tickle. I couldn’t believe Mom would laugh while we were getting attacked and screaming in pain. He would dig his fingers in the “perfect” spots.
-I remember Dad’s grand-interest in each Christmas present we would show him. Oh, and getting Christmas trees was an art.
-I loved Dad’s fancy cuff-links.
-Dad would pay us if we shined his boots—he seemed to like showing us the “just right” way.
-I remember watching Dad’s deep concern when I was laying in the E.R. after my first grand-mal seizure. He took charge to make sure I was taken care of.
-Dad loved to hear me tell him all about David.
-David had told Dad how he was going to propose to me and he gave a few snickers while watching it happen. He got a kick out of that.
-I remember when Dad was in the ward talent show with the Bishopric singing “Don’t Worry, Be Happy,” all decked out in Jamaican attire-- I was about 5.
-Dad loved the sugar cookies with thick pink frosting that we could get in Utah.
-When I see Zonkers, I always think of Dad. When he ate those, it was the first I’d seen them.
-I loved Dad’s mission stories. He told them just right.
-Dad’s little munching dance= we’d all stand around the kitchen island, chatting and munching, and Dad had a little side-to-side sway with a little shoulder bounce. We’d all follow along and end up “dancing” around the island as we ate.
-Dad loved having parties at the house: firesides, single’s game nights, after-game parties…
-Dad and fancy/fast cars go together. He loved his car “collection”. Fun rides.
-I liked watching Dad’s Mission Prep. class as he taught my brothers and sisters.
-I remember feeling so lucky when Dad took me on a dune buggy ride in Glamis.
-I remember dancing with Dad to “Sunrise, Sunset” at my wedding.

I'm grateful that I have many more treasured good memories.
Maybe my roses have recently bloomed so perfectly, holding their beauty for over a week in honor of my dad. =) Might have to do with some of the fertilizer.

10 comments:

Bedkes said...

I've been thinking about your dad all week, and the last time I was with him at Johnny's homecoming talk. The donald duck voice brought back a lot of good memories, I remember him always thinking I was you! I remember him coming home with a ton of McDonalds food and there was always plenty for every body, he must of known I was going to be there=). Uncle John always had the best cars and I loved sitting in them. He was and is one fabulous man!

Stevenson Family said...

Such sweet memories.

Smile said...

it's interesting for me to read that kind of stuff- there are quite a few things that jason does with our boys that i didn't know came from your dad. thanks for sharing!

Jen.Steve.Joe said...

Uncle John always smelled absolutely wonderful! He was always clean shaven with the softest face and the best aftershave. I loved watching him dance with his daughters to sunrise, sunset at their weddings.

Stacy said...

What an amazing man, Dee! I remember when my mom would go and see him for home health and I'd call her cell phone and she'd be laughing her butt off because your dad was so funny. He and your mom did a wonderful job raising such great kids.

Brady Fam said...

Fun to read these-- rushes more memories- good laughs! Mare, I totally remember the big bag of McDonald's cheeseburgers one time, I remember eating them outside the kitchen door on the big stones. Jen, I had a wave of Stetson aftershave hit me when you mentioned your memory. Oh ya, we could smell when my dad was coming down the stairs after getting ready-- a real good smell. Stacy, so fun that I can totally recall your mom's laugh - sound & look (definitely girl's camp laughs come to mind)! I bet her laughs made my dad's day!-- good medication for health. =) Thanks guys. I've been telling my mom & she's liking it.

Kris, Andrea, Lacey, Mia, and Kannon said...

so sweet! A funny memory I have is calling your house looking for Jason in probably eigth grade and your dad answered. It was no secret your dad didn't like the idea of a girl calling his son, but then to go a step further my young naieve self continued to tell your dad that I was going to marry his son and that we were betrothed! WOW.. What was I thinking. Your dad had an impecable reputation and I was so lame to speak so candidly with him. It makes me laugh cuz yeah, I was young. of course he was very gracious while I'm sure he was thinking, yeah right.. are you going to marry my son! hee hee. funny times! He was a very great and admired man.

Brady Fam said...

K, Andrea, I totally remember that! So funny! I remember all of us teasing Jason with a good "woo-woo!" That definitely brought out his red cheeks and dimples. Ha! My dad would tease him about you definitely being a cute one. I think I'm going to call and tease him again. ;)

Chelsea and Ben said...

Deanna! I've been meaning to comment on your blog sooner! That was such a sweet post, I loved reading it. Jen already took what I was going to say, but Uncle John always smelled good! His aftershave was amazing! For some reason, when I think of Unlce John, I think of the HUGE painting that was in the living room of your whole family. Good memories
xoxoxo, Chelsea

abo-bder said...




فني تركيب دش بالرياض
شركة تركيب اثاث ايكيا بالرياض
فني ايكيا بالرياض
تركيب ستائر بالرياض