Wednesday, March 26, 2008

WADA Ya Know?


Warning: I am writing this for my medical journal, so there will be lots of details.

** This is an MRI of my brain taken back in Nov. I'm not exactly sure what the tumor looks like, but it is in the area of that circle near where my ear is.

The WADA test is done to test the strengths of the different sides of the brain. They put one side of the brain to sleep, as if it doesn't exist, in order to test the other side of the brain.

It happened and was quite interesting (not enjoyable, however). The WADA is an interactive brain test--to the extreme. I soon realized that I had not been nervous enough. :) After the 2 hour prep., I had 31 wires stuck on me or in me. Quite a sight. They had my head wrapped in gauze and my body was covered in blankets. David pointed out that I looked like a mummy. Beautiful.

Once they put me on the metal table (at least a folded blanket was under me), a doctor numbed my leg and inserted a catheter through my carotid artery, pushing it up to the base of my brain. A bit uncomfortable, as they described it. An X-ray machine helped guide the doctor as he pushed in the catheter. My artery looked pretty clean.

I first received an angiogram on my left side. Odd sensation. The lighting of veins or whatever in my brain made it look like I was watching fireworks and then the inside of my head got really warm on just the one side.

Following this the WADA began. I held onto the fingers of a doctor and would squeeze as she directed every few seconds. Another doctor sat at my left side. She showed me items, pictures and then asked me questions as soon as they injected Amytol (also known as the "truth syrum"). As soon as the Amytol reached my brain I felt like I was just coming out of a seizure. She began showing me items: pen, watch, scissors... I couldn't really think of how to say the names of each item. The thought went through my mind, "Random items, did she just pick these out of her purse?" Oh, I also went blind in my left eye, so it was hard to look over with my right eye since I couldn't move my head. All I could say was, "Uhh hhhuu." The doctor named the item or picture since I couldn't say anything and I could understand her and knew what she said was correct. I remember hearing her clearly. I only remembered the mouse and shoe picture. I remember her asking me what my name is and where I live... I couldn't think or say either. She asked if I was in a school, _____ (didn't understand the word, but was pretty sure immediately that it was the answer), or a cafeteria. The Amytol was just starting to wear off so I could kind of speak and I really wanted to say something, anything... I replied, "Well, I used to teach at a school." That is all I could get out. When the medication wore off completely they asked me if they showed my items or pictures... "yes." I forgot two of each, but did pretty well with their prompting-- they would give me three options (show me 3 pics or 3 items) and I would choose from those. I had forgotten that she had me do 2 different actions, but once she told me she had then I recalled that she had me stick out my tongue and I remembered the thoughts going through my head. I didn't understand what she was saying, but as soon as she stuck out her tongue I figured she wanted me to do the same based on her facial expression. I pulled mine in as soon as she pulled hers in, but she started to talk just as I began to pull it in. I remember thinking that she was probably telling me to keep my tongue out, so I stuck it out quickly. She started to laugh a bit, so I figured I had guessed wrong. While they were testing my memory for the other side I remembered that other action she'd had me do the first time through...tap my fingers to my thumb. Lastly I repeated some of the questions she had asked.

Following this, I rested for 30 minutes waiting for the Amytol to wear off completely. Then they moved onto the right side. They did an angiogram and then put the right side to sleep, testing my left side's abilities. It was all quite similar. I didn't go completely blind in my right eye, just very blurry vision. I was able to speak pretty well and identify things. When the medication wore off, however, my memory was gone. They asked if they had shown me any items or pictures... "No." My next thought was, "Hmm, I wonder why they only had me do an action and then answer questions." Well, apparently they did show me items and pictures. I remembered a couple when they prompted me, but I forgot them again quite quickly and have absolutely no recollection of them now. I remember her having me touch my nose. I don't remember any of the questions she asked me. Talk about interesting!

I thought that when they put the left side of my brain to sleep that the right side of my body would be paralyzed and feel like a bag of sand. I was quite surprised when I was not only able to squeeze the doctor's hands with equal strength, but that there was no difference in my strength from normal. At least, that is what I thought. I commented on this to the doctor and she informed that I had, infact, lost a lot of strength on the one side and that my arm kept weighing down. While "under the influence" the doctor would tell me to raise my arms, I had thought that she just kept having me raise my arms higher and higher, apparently it was to get them back up to where they started. It felt that way because they were more difficult to keep up. (I was holding my arms up, perpendicular to my body.) My mind was tricking me-- similar to "phantom limbs." That will hopefully be my only experience with being paralyzed.

After the three hours of testing a doctor pulled out the LONG catheter and gave me one stitch on the artery...it hurt. I had to lay flat for the next two hours in the recovery unit. My hubby was able to join me again during this time. I tell you...I was in mega pain. I couldn't hold back the tears. The numbing meds began to wear off and my whole right leg began to cramp up, real bad. Pain in my back rose quickly as well. I seriously felt like I was in labor again. I even tried to concentrate on my breathing... didn't help much. I couldn't change positions or even move because too much pressure on the artery would make the stitch pop easily...and we all know what could happen from that. They gave me some Tylenol and it took too long to take effect, in my opinion. I think that the back pain was due to having laid flat for over 5 hours without any movement. I was able to walk a little after 2 hours and so the nurse brought the check-out list. This is when I found out that I couldn't lift or move anything over 10lbs. for 1 week-- including my daughter!!! Panic set in. feeding, changing, bathing, playing, bedtime, naps, picking up, laying down-- what?!? My mom instantly came to the rescue, already on her way back from helping out with the arrival of my brother's new baby. Thank Heavens... to an extreme!

Pain continued pretty bad for the next few days. I realized that the only way for the slice to heal was for me to lay flat. Frustrating, but worth the annoyance. The slice was right where the leg meets the body. Exactly in the crease. Ouch. Again, many thanks to my mom. My C.C. sister's family watched Bridgett during the two days of my MRI and WADA test. Huge thanks there as well.

Alright, I have healed and am getting ready for the next step. Brain Surgery. My surgery will be taking place on April 15 at UCLA... coming fast. If you know anyone who has had brain surgery (especially on the left side) please, please send them my way. After having only been told that the WADA test would be uncomfortable-- but finding out there was a bit more, I realized that I need to do a lot of studying on what to expect from this surgery.

Test results: They found that the right side of the brain has already begun to compensate for troubles caused to the left side from the tumor. Yeah! With the surgery they will be taking out the tumor and a little section of the brain that may effect my memory of lists.

10 comments:

Chelsea said...

Wow, Deanna! I had no idea that the test would do that, it was really interesting to hear about it from your perspective. Good Luck on your brain surgery and we will be praying for you. Be sure to keep us all posted.

The Knudsen Family said...

I hope all goes well with your surgery. You will definetly be in my prayers. Please let me know if I can do anything for you. Babysitting, food anything please give me a call.

Molly and Kip said...

Dee,
We will be praying for you. I just have memories of visiting you will all the wires in your hair and that brings me the chills because I thought that hurt. I am sorry you were in so much pain. Let me know if I can help you in anyway. I am so proud of you for being so strong. Love you!

Robin said...

Deanna,

Good luck with your surgery and recovery. You are in so many people's prayers and sounds like you have a wonderful,supportive family! I will be praying for you and for your family.

Jen.Steve.Joe said...

It was so good to talk to you! Sorry I needed to order my Subway sandwich, I thought my husband knew my usual, but I think he thought I would spice it up or something! Love you tons!

Crystal said...

that was not long and boring, that was amazing! i am so sorry you were in so much pain. isn't it awesome though what the human body and mind is capable of? it just amazes me thinking about it. you are one strong chickadee. good luck with the surgery and as you know all our prayers are with you. if you need anything, or if whoever is helping you needs a break or anything, let me know.

Ryan and Marci said...

I'll be thinking of you the 15th... know that you are in a lot of people's prayers. It's amazing how much comfort you can feel from other's prayers. I have a friend who had brain surgery about 2 years ago. I'll get in touch with her and find out more details and have her contact you. She's a sweetheart & is at BYU right now. She is really good friends with Brooke. Her family is in my parent's ward in Colorado. She flew to San Francisco for her surgery and everything went really well. I know that the same will be true for you. :) I'll send you some good links for knitting patterns... isn't knitting fun? I've been hooked and too have been working on Christmas stockings! My great-grandma made all of ours and so now I'm trying to make one for my husband, niece, & brother-in-law. The stockings are hard to do!

Ryan and Marci said...

Hey Deanna, my friend Christie Walton had her tumor on the left side of her brain too. My Mom talked with her Mom today and gave her your blog website to pass on to Christie and she's going leave a comment or something on your blog to get in touch with you. Christie now is studying about the brain & tumors at BYU and would love to talk to you about any questions that you have. Let me know if you would like her phone #. She'd be the perfect person to talk to, she & her family are so sweet!

tiffunny said...

That is all pretty interesting. We will be thinking about you and praying for you here too. And I echo Kelly's sentiments - please take me up on anything you need. I'd love to help out anyway I could!

K+C=M+K said...

I just read that post, I had no idea any of this was going on! It might seem lame to hear, but I'm so sorry, and if there is anything you need, let me know. UCLA is not that far away from us, so I can come up and babysit or something if you need.. Good luck with everything and you'll be in our prayers:)