Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A New Egg

So my friend got me started on this stuff. I'll admit that she caught my attention when she said using flaxseed was why she didn't get stretch marks from her pregnancies. Who wouldn't be interested?
So that only caught my attention, the rest moved me forward. It has great vitamins... which are good. It also is up with fish in the Omega stuff and good source of protein (Gidget doesn't like meat much, so this helps). Here's a bit that I read online.
It may be tiny, but it’s mighty: The flax seed carries one of the biggest nutrient payloads on the planet. And while it’s not technically a grain, it has a similar vitamin and mineral profile to grains, while the amount of fiber, antioxidants, and Omega-3 fatty acids in flax leaves grains in the dust. Additionally, flax seed is very low in carbohydrates, making it ideal for people who limit their intake of starches and sugars. And its combination of healthy fat and high fiber content make it a great food for weight loss and maintenance -- many dieters have found that flax seed has been a key to keeping them feeling satisfied. Hmm. Sounds good.
Did you know... it can substitute eggs in cooking?! Ya. I used it this morning in my waffles. You don't notice a thing except for the wheat looking grain- texture doesn't change. So I've used it in many things that call for eggs and the taste isn't changed. (1 tbsp. flaxseed meal mixed w/ 3tbsp. water= 1 egg) Oftentimes, I'll just mix a bit in with the oatmeal or cream of wheat or anything.
I admit that trying this sneaky option has kinda made cooking more fun (for the time being). "Hmm, where can I use it now without it being noticed?"

4 comments:

Sherry said...

That's great! I need some of this stuff!

jamie t. said...

I love that stuff. I add it to my homemade bread, smoothies, and pancakes or waffles. Congrats on the baby girl as well.

Chelsea and Ben said...

I also use flaxseed in oatmeal and smoothies and stuff but I didn't know it was an egg replacer as well! I'll have to try that out. Thanks!

Smile said...

i've been meaning to pick this up every time i go to the store. i did NOT know it was an egg replacer either!! with two with egg allergies, you'd think i would have known that. soooo, thanks to this, i finally got myself to costco and bought a HUGE container of it. (and of course, it says right on it about the eggs. we'll see how it goes!!